Built in 1928, this is another architectural masterpiece by acclaimed architect Douglas Ellington. As with City Hall and First Baptist Church, Ellington related the building to the mountain landscape. Three wings radiate from a hexagonal tower along the contours of a shallow cove. The Balfour pink granite for this building came from a quarry near Salisbury. The interior of the rotunda features a checkerboard brick pattern. The roof is comprised of thousands of three-quarter-inch thick clay tiles.
With a cost of $1.3 million ($18.8 million in 2016 dollars) Asheville High School opened on February 5, 1929,with a dedication ceremony in the auditorium including as speakers the Mayor of Asheville, the superintendent of Asheville City Schools, Douglas Ellington, Lee H. Edwards, the president of the PTA, the Headmaster of the Asheville School and the president of Duke University. When first opened, Asheville High had a wide variety of vocational programs including automotive mechanics, full print shops (all yearbooks, newspapers, and magazines were printed on-campus), mechanical drawing, and photography, including a darkroom.
Art Deco and Italian Renaissance in style, it is still in use as a high school. On the National Register of Historic Places, this building was built for the ages.